The cosmetic and beauty industry is swarmed with new, innovative technology and it is bound to get confusing at times. Every customer encounters the dilemma of, which brand, which product, and especially, how do I use this product?
Off to a slow start with evident doubt and hesitation from customers and users, IPL Laser Hair Removal is a method that guarantees permanent results — the ultimate goal of most. In gaining its permanent effects, many factors come into play.
First, aspiring users should learn more about IPL and how it works. Once convinced, there are brands and respective features to consider prior to purchasing your very own device. And once you have your hands on your own handset, it is crucial to use it properly in every way — it is not technology to be improvised or winged, especially for home-use.
Luckily, with the checklist of the journey to IPL commitment, we have it all covered. Read on about the ultimate guide, steps, and insightful tips and hacks.
Your Current Hair Removal Options
The reason you are spending your time reading this article is, you are sick of your method’s temporary effects. Not to further startle you, but you will be repeating your traditional method throughout your whole lifetime.
To name a few, the most common hair removal methods used today are plucking, hot waxing, electrolysis, shaving, depilatory creams, threading, and medication.
When you further read into each method, it is a discovery that each procedure is selective towards certain areas of treatment. For example, most experts discourage plucking for the bikini area as it increases the risk of ingrown hair and skin irritation. Clearly, each technique carries its own risks and limitations; a main limitation is its temporariness.
Recognize that, like other hair removal methods, IPL does have its share of limitations and risk but its advantages and scope are immense. Not to mention, induces permanent effects.
The What’s and How’s of Going IPL
If you are an upcoming IPL Laser user, a good, smart step is learning about what it is and understanding the technology behind it.
Intense Pulsed Light, IPL, uses controlled emissions of light pulses to be absorbed and converted in your internal hair follicles. Also known as photo facial, IPL-based technology is typically used on the underarms, arms, face, legs, and bikini area — just like your current hair removal method.
The light absorption that is followed by the conversion to heat in the follicles, prevents the growth or scientifically known as, re-growth potential or the resting phase. This sequence allows for the permanency of the hair removal, as well as the long-lasting smoothness that everyone desires.
Undoubtedly, IPL treatment is categorized as a laser treatment. However, it is a safe, non-invasive hair removal method that should not evoke fear from its future customers and users. We will provide personal accounts of IPL users to further gain a well-rounded image of the technology’s safety and effectivity.
With its permanent effects and lasting smoothness, it is definitely one of the most deserving candidates to replace your current hair removal method. It’s 2021, it is time to contribute to sustainability and the easy step is cutting down on your disposable hair removal tools such as razors and wax strips.
Know the Benefits of IPL Hair Removal
As you are looking to try something new, the right of passage is to read on its pros and cons for your own safety and reassurance. First off, let’s get into the benefits of IPL Hair Removal.
As previously mentioned, IPL does use laser technology. Most cosmetic enthusiasts attempt to avoid laser-based technology as it entails prolonged exposure to controlled light emissions. However, Intense Pulsed Light is safe. Overall, the technology is safe, however, it is very important to only invest into recognized IPL brands and distributors. Luckily, we will provide the top brands and their respective user reviews below.
Tying to the question of safety, the common question rises: is IPL Laser Hair Removal painful? Simple answer is, it is painless. At most, some users describe a static, tingling sensation when treating areas near a bone or non-flat surfaces. Later on, we will detail the common factors that such users carry. On the other hand, waxing is clearly painful, as well as plucking. As for shaving, individuals are prone to a cut or a case of skin irritation when creams and chemicals are applied.
It has been mentioned a million times, but avoid temporary effects and methods! Yes, this is shade being thrown on your current hair removal method: plucking, hot waxing, shaving, medication, and more. When given the sufficient amount of effort, time, and commitment, IPL brings you permanent effects. Slim to no hair on your treated surfaces! According to multiple users, it takes 6 to 8 consistent sessions per surface to achieve such. Although, remember that it does depend on your skin tone and hair color and structure.
Moving on from the pros of going IPL, there is a different side to it.
How About the Disadvantages of the Treatment?
A product and procedure with magical effects, it is too good to be true. Wrong, the cons of IPL treatment are extremely minimal.
Briefly, the lack of melanin amounts with light hair must be acknowledged. IPL Laser uses melanin to target the growth potential of hair on your treatment area.
Looking at it superficially, IPL devices on the market do cost a lot. However, let’s do the math, shall we? Your traditional methods require tools that are usually single-use. How much do you spend on hair removal tools monthly? Multiply this number by 12 and multiply by how many years you anticipate to live. Not to mention, your past expenditures on these products. Go eco-friendly, people! An IPL handset is a single purchase, a single payment. It’s kind of looking like IPL is the cost effective option.
In terms of these two disadvantages, do not get discouraged! Read on as the experiences of users with light hair and the top branded products’ prices on the market will be disclosed and explored.
How Do I Know Which One to Buy?
Just because it is a cost effective option, it does not mean that IPL devices are cheap; therefore, you must pick the right one for you!
- Quantity of Flashes: Most IPL devices carry a maximum number of light emissions, zaps or flashes. After you have reached the maximum number, it is time to buy a new device. On the market, the minimum is 100,000 zaps, though, some brands have an unlimited number!
- Time: While your handset is in use, it takes a few seconds of break between the flashes. Overall, the faster duration between flashes will lead to a shorter treatment process and procedure.
- Number of Intensity Levels: Similar to the need for included attachments, if you wish to conduct IPL treatment on multiple areas, varied intensity levels or modes are best. For example, your facial skin is highly more sensitive than your leg skin surface. In this situation, the first setting may be used for your facial skin, while the higher settings can be used for your legs.
- Skin Tone Sensor: Not many devices possess this premium feature. With IPL’s selectivity by hair color and skin tone, a skin tone sensor will enable you to identify the desirable intensity levels for you and your treatment. Furthermore, it will give you a better idea of how often to repeat treatments based on your skin tone in order to gain optimal results.
Does my Hair and Skin Color Work with IPL Treatment?
The rule of thumb: everybody is different and carries beauty through their unique features. A long awaited topic to be discussed, how is Intense Pulsed Light laser technology selective towards one’s hair color and skin tone?
Safe and effective for all parts of the body, the IPL technology’s capability may vary from brand to brand. Remember, IPL handsets come in all shapes and sizes!
For example, the Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Cordless Hair Removal Device is suitable for light brown to dark brown hair. Specifically, it cannot treat the hair tones of blonde, red, and gray. With skin tone, the brand cannot guarantee optimal effects for those with a darker skin tone. Although, it can guarantee results for lighter to tan skin tones.
The key is to do ample research on your device’s suitable hair color and skin tone to optimize your IPL purchase!
The Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide to IPL Home Treatment
On top of care and commitment, please use your IPL device according to its directional use. Do not improvise!
- First step is to clean your desired treatment area. To prevent any interference from fragrances and chemicals, use mild soap and water to cleanse. Refrain from scrubbing, stick to a gentle lather!
- An important step, gently shave the area to be treated. No waxing, no plucking — just a gentle shave!
- If your IPL device is corded, plug it into a power source and turn on by pressing the power button for a few seconds.
- If it is equipped with multiple intensity levels or modes, click once at a time to increase to higher settings. However, if it is your first IPL session, it is recommended to stick to the first setting for the least intensity.
- Now, place the device at a 90-degree angle on your treatment surface. Push the flash button to initiate your zaps. For small areas, follow a circular motion, and for larger areas, use a gliding motion across. As you zap, the number of flashes left on your device will appear.
- Though this varies per device, per treatment, per area, the average is to repeat this process every two weeks until you reach your goal.
- In one treatment, it is recommended to target only one area. Once your session is completed, click the power button to turn your device off. For post-use storage, save a safe place for your beloved IPL handset!
Pieces of Advice from an IPL User
- Consistency: Regardless of its promising effects, the permanent results you aim for, cannot be attained with a couple inconsistent uses. You may not be able to see visible effects immediately, though, Month 3 is the time where the permanent results kick in after consistent use.
- No Plucking and No Waxing: To a certain extent, these two methods remove the necessary internal hair follicles. Although, these follicles are required to exist for IPL to work its magic. Instead, it is time to buy those razors for shaving!
- Autumn or Winter: If you are planning to start IPL treatment, the best time to start is around autumn and winter. Around these months, fake and natural tans are typically left to a minimal level. In relation to a tan, melanin is a key component to IPL Laser technology. The optimal situation is a maximized contrast between your possibly fair skin and darker hair color.
- Protect: As a tingling feeling may be felt in the tricky areas or an increased sensitivity, some users invest into soothing balms and gels. On top of these, apply some SPF protection on your treated areas if you expect some sun exposure or wear clothes that cover the areas!
- Avoid: Tying to an increased sensitivity, hot showers, perfume, and/or fragrant deodorants can be avoided in the post-treatment 24-hour window.
- Unique: Every IPL experience and journey varies from person to person. Some users with dark, thick hair may feel the static sensation during treatment and/or after — do not worry, they do not claim it as pain. On the other hand, users with light hair and fair skin do not record any pain whatsoever.
Once you deem a product or procedure as something you want to try, there are a few steps to follow.
First, individuals must understand the information to assess whether it is something you want to try or not. With this, the mental preparation and awareness to commit and care, follows. Be knowledgeable on the tips and hacks from current IPL users. After committing to converting to IPL, get into product research to find the right device for you and your needs. Keep in mind, your safety has a cost, refrain from purchasing devices from non well-known brands and distributors.
Now that you have got your hands on your very own IPL handset, give it a try. Make sure to properly and carefully follow the guided steps we have provided above. This ensures the magical effects of permanent hair removal with IPL treatment.
A safe and non-invasive procedure, Intense Pulsed Light uses light emissions to hinder the re-growth potential of hair follicles under the surface of the skin. Repeat after us: care, commitment, and consistency!
Take this as the sign to toss those shaving and waxing tools, it is time to switch to IPL permanent hair removal. Join the many, many satisfied and grateful users around the globe!